Last night I had an enjoyable impromptu fake date with my friend Krysta. I had asked her if she wanted to go to my friend Paul's wife's book release party. I had asked my boss if she wanted to accompany me and she shot me down. It made sense to ask Krysta since she not only provides enjoyable company and knows Paul, but lives near the bookstore. Proximity has always played some sort of role in all my relationships...I guess that's true of everyone though...I am always a fan of less proximity and more haptics. Whaddup!
Anyway, so after the book social we went to a new Dominican restaurant on a whim. The entire situation was humorous for multiple reasons: 1. she is dressed up and I am wearing a white v-neck undershirt and gray jeans 2. the restaurant is full on both sides and we get seated right in the middle of the restaurant 3. the food runner was wearing scrubs.
There were no vegetarian options except for sweet fried plantains and cheese in the appetizers, so we ordered them and fried codfritters because neither of us knew what it was. we decided to split the appetizer and entree to save room for some tres leche cake. The service was terribly slow, but I assume it was a result of a large group sitting near us and only one waitress for the entire place. What the appetizer lacked in flavor it made up for in grease. When the entree came out it looked like it might be good so Krysta took a huge bite and immediately had the worst look on her face. I ate some and I thought it wasn't great but not that bad...but then it got saltier as I ate it. Usually things are salty or not salty, but this went from really salty to super gross salty pretty quickly in my mouth. Krysta almost couldn't swallow it and then from that point on she just ate plain rice. I did my best to eat the entire portion of one of the worst things I've ever eaten because I felt that it was my fault for ordering it, and maybe it was supposed to taste this way. Now that I think of it, it wasn't fried at all. Also, keep in mind, the waitress never brought out separate plates for us so we were eating off of one plate in the middle of the table the entire time. Basically we looked like one of those couples that feels the need to repulse everyone by sitting on the same side of the table or booth. The funny thing is that I had a similar experience with Chris last week by accident at a nice Italian restaurant. Anyway, I still dont know why that guy was wearing scrubs unless they're the cheapest clothes possible -the other alternatives are pretty gross. Also, they were out of tres leche cake. So my opinion - unless you like mofongo with pork chunks don't eat at Papa Ningo downtown.
When I dropped Krysta off it was still daylight and I got a kiss on the cheek. Then I went home and listened to my favorite radio serials, blew out the candle and fell asleep dreaming of better meals.

0 comments:


 

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates