Sand Land Country? Anyway...
Remember that scene where the main character goes to the opium den style party and sits there with that guy and has a super serious talk about anarchy as a plausible system of working society?
In a way that has been the last 5 days of my life I think. I have had one serious conversation after the other. The best part about it is that the other people have completely different opinions and I'm actually learning things. For example, I'm pretty sure I had a conversation with Ayn Rand at one party. Then tonight I had someone take the position of 'maybe an incompetent, disorganized central government actually benefits society.' She had very good supporting paragraphs, as did Ms. Rand.
I really enjoy this aspect of life here. In America, the people you hang out with are usually pretty like minded and its too easy to not have a serious dialogue with someone that shares a different opinion. How difficult is it to not talk to the drunk frat guy at the bar who thinks that the war is a good idea? Then when you're with your friends it's all too easy to not have a serious political conversation because what are you going to say? 'Do you hate this unjust war? Yes? Cool, me too. PBR? Sure.'
The downside is, of course, less jokes. My roommates watched Juno tonight and I was concerned with was how it was perceived from an Islamic viewpoint and how well did the humor translate cross culturally. Where's the fun in that? I need to meet someone here who is a straight up joke machine or has a complete and reckless disregard for their well being as well as everyone else around them.
I figured I had until I hit 35 before I grew up. If a year in this region causes me to prematurely mature I will be quite upset.

0 comments:


 

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates