The other night my friend/roommate Maher came into my room and said, 'Parliament is burning, come look, you can see it from the roof.' So we went up to the roof and he told me that it had already been burning for almost 2 hours. From the roof I could see the flames and I live about a mile away. Maher then told me that the fire department had failed completely and the military was called in to try to extinguish it. That's when we saw the helicopters with those buckets underneath flying by to try to put out the fire. Then they couldn't get the buckets to dump. It was like a really really dark Ben Stiller movie, if you could imagine something going terribly wrong it went wrong. Anyway, I grabbed the camera and rushed down to the building. Unfortunately trying to take night pictures in a near riot situation is not easy. I even climbed on top of a wall to get a better view and it didn't help too much. Then I was without internet until yesterday afternoon so I didn't know what the news was saying about it, but it turns out that 13 people were injured and the cause was most likely electrical.
The feeling at the scene was pretty amazing though. Back in the side streets youth were cheering and yelling and I'm pretty sure that a bowab said, 'the presidents moustache caught fire.' I hope that if nothing else, it just gets people talking. Maybe people will start to question whether or not this part of government is even necessary, and the compentency of the government in general.

0 comments:


 

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates