So I'm sitting here at work blogged out my mind and listening to Radiohead. The song No Surprises came on and I wondered if there would ever be a time in which I would take the lyrics more literally and less sarcastically. Will there be a time that I really do want a life with 'no alarms, no surprises'? We all think we won't, but we've all seen products of previous generations that have said the same thing and they ended up pretty much like everyone else. What happened?
I'd say that there is a part of me that will always want lukewarm coffee and a 'comfy' couch. If I were completely honest, I'd say it's a very very large part. The problem is that if I go the easy route and then late in life the small, adventure seeking part forms a coup, I won't have as many options. So off I go seeking adventure. Maybe by doing so you satiate that part and it stops pushing you to do things. Maybe the people that don't seek fun and adventure ignore it until it shrivels up and dies. I guess that's how so many people become so homogenized. In the end, the result is the same for most, fun/adventure is quiet and they live quiet lives of sitcoms and naps.
The difference is how you get to the end I guess.
But sometimes, that tiny part doesn't die. It's rare, but sometimes if you're really really good at fun you get to keep it. For example.

0 comments:


 

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates